If you love food, then you’ll love Ajijic and the surrounding towns. There are easily more than 100 dining and food establishments within a 15 minute walk of Ajijic’s central plaza, ranging from modest Mexican restaurants loved by locals and expats alike, to food trucks, bakeries, artisan food shops, markets, ice cream shops, wine boutiques, pizzerias, spice shops, coffee shops, imported cheese and salumeria stores, and an amazing variety of middle to higher end restaurants featuring cuisines from around the world.
Here are some of our favorites. Please call in advance for hours and days of operation, as restaurants have varying schedules.
Breakfast and Lunch
- La Vie en Rose: French bakery and café with superior pastries and bread. Lovely outdoor garden setting. Independencia 2, just west of Colon. 376-766-1360
- Café Corazón: Inside the Lake Chapala Society – beautiful outdoor patio in a lush tropical setting. 16 de Septiembre 16. 332-212-8480
- La Media Luna: Breakfast and lunch - Parroquia 1AC – just east of the SE corner of the main plaza. Fresh, clean food. 376-766-2650
- Jarden Plaza Restaurant: Northeast corner of the plaza. Breakfast and lunch. Perfect for people watching. 376-766-0039
- Chile Verde: Colon 25 on west side of the plaza. Authentic Mexican, breakfast and lunch. 376-766-0072
- Donas Donuts: Full breakfast and lunch, including a dizzying array of fresh made donuts. On the Carreteria, west side of Ajijic. 376-766-4262
- David’s Café : Hidalgo 21 west of the plaza. Breakfast and lunch. 376-766-2341. https://www.facebook.com/davidscafeajijic/
- Mel’s Restaurant-Bar: Beautiful Hacienda, covered patio and pool for lunch Wed – Sunday. Zaragoza west of Aquiles Serdan. Sunday brunch is a village favorite. 387-766-4253
- Emma’s Deli: Yes, a real New York style eatery with pastrami, Reuben, kraut dogs, and matzo ball soup. Ramón Corona 7. 333-399-3202. https://emmasdeli.negocio.site/
- Hotel Real de Chapala, in La Floresta : Paseo del Prado 20. Sumptuous breakfast and lunch by the pool and lake. 376-766-0014. http://www.realdechapala.com/.
- Peacock Garden: Lovely and lush garden setting for lunch among the peacocks. Colon 8. 376-766-1381.
- Machi Ma: Vegan, smoothies and organic foods for breakfast and lunch. On the Carreterra, just east of Galeana. 376-766-1649. https://www.facebook.com/MachimaAjijic.
- Gosha’s: Fine breakfast and lunch menus served on a lovely outdoor patio. Carretera Ote. 24, central Ajijic. 376-766-2121. http://chapala.com/goshas.html
- Dharma: Mexican-Asian fusion with organic and gluten free menu options. In the Casa Colon Concept House – corner of Colon and Zaragoza. 322-779-8846.
- Alkimia ‒“Food for the Soul:” Encarcion Rosas, north side of the Carretera. Health foods, smoothies, gluten-free cookies and more. 333-474-8724. https://www.facebook.com/alkimiaajijic/
- Remy du Lac: Elegant, upscale French cuisine in lovely outdoor setting. San Antonio 10B, west Ajijic. 376-766-0607.
- Casa Linda: Upscale continental cuisine in a beautiful building. Rio Bravo 7, west Ajijic. 376-108-0887. https://www.facebook.com/casalindaajijic/
- Oui Oui: French and Italian food in a garden setting with superb wine selection and live music., Independencia 2, just west of Colon. Open Thurs – Sunday. 376-766-1360.
- Tango: Argentinian steak house and perennial village favorite. Morelos 5. 376-766-2458. http://ajijictango.com/homeingles.html.
- Go Bistro: Creative global cuisine including small plate options. Unique indoor outdoor setting with lush garden and live music. Marcos Castellanos, north of the Carretera. 333-502-6555. https://www.gobistro.net/.
- Pale: Upscale and progressive Spanish cuisine. Carretera poniente, Nº 22A. 333- 570-6084.
- Teocintle Maiz: upscale authentic Mexican cuisine. Constitución 52, at Javier Mina just before Donata Guerra. Reservations recommended as seating is limited. 331- 547-8968. https://www.facebook.com/maizteocintle/.
- Ninette’s: An unsung star among the dining scene. Fine continental dining with indoor and outdoor seating. On the carretera on the east side Ajijic next Donas Donuts. 376-766-4905.
- Brunos: A village institution for steaks, ribs, bugers, salads and more. Oriente 20, on the Carettera in center village. 376-766-1674. http://brunossteakhouse.com.mx/.
- Masayume: Stunning sushi and Japanese cuisine. Carretera Oriente Número 31 B, by Banco Multiva along the Carretera. 376-108-1889. https://www.facebook.com/MasayumeAjijic/.
- Gosha's: Upscale continental cuisine, grilled foods and kabob in lovely outdoor setting. Carretera Ote. 24, central Ajijic. 376-766-2121. https://www.facebook.com/pages/category/Breakfast---Brunch-Restaurant/Goshas-Restaurant-908054846006814/.
- Tepatate Pian: Fine Thai cuisine with two floors of seating. Hidalgo 31, a couple of blocks west of the plaza. 376-766-2020. https://www.facebook.com/TepetateRestaurant/.
- Chef Pian: Equally fine Thai cuisine. Hidalgo 38. 376-766-2020.
- Purple Garlic Pizza Brothers: Casual setting, excellent pizza and live music. Carretera Ote. #7, near Colon. 376-766-0850. https://www.purplegarlicpizzabrothers.com/.
- Elegante: Upscale fine continental dining, famous for its bone marrow and filet mignon with foie gras specials. 59 Constitution. 376-766-1066. http://eleganteajijic.com/.
- Chez Charracate Wine Bar: Romantic, candle-lit courtyard serving superior wines, chacuterie, cheeses and chocolates. Open Thursday and Friday nights only. Independencia 9B. https://www.facebook.com/pages/category/Wine-Bar/Chez-Charracate-Wine-Bar-1878849368997746/.
- Garufa: Upscale Argentinian Steakhouse: Colón 43, between Hidalgo and Zaragoza. 332-184-4453. http://www.garufa.com.mx/.
- Alex's Pasta Bar: Swank Italian eatery and beloved village favorite. Juan Álvarez 71. 376-766-2034. https://www.facebook.com/Alexs-Pasta-Bar-425642630941288/.
- Pasta Trenta: Superior pasta sauces, Caesar salad and warm bread with clarified butter in an unassuming but cozy café setting. 376-766-1121. Constitución 33-A. https://www.facebook.com/pastatrenta/.
- Tabarka: A village staple for Spanish tapas, seafood and paella in a lush tropical outdoor setting. Ramón Corona 2A. 376-766-1588. https://www.facebook.com/tabarka.restaurant.
- Cocinart: A perennial village favorite with an eclectic menu to suit most tastes. 16 de Septiembre. 376-766-4242. https://www.facebook.com/cocinart/.
- Café Black and White: Coffee shop on east side of the main plaza. Paseo Jardín 2. Perfect for people watching and meeting new friends. https://www.facebook.com/pages/category/Coffee-Shop/COFFE-BLACK-WHITE-763141667212023/.
- Café Grano: Superior coffees and pastries on Marcos Castellanos across from the main church plaza. 376-766-1396.
- La Casa del Café: Morelos 14, just south of 16 de Septiembre. 376-766-2876.
- Patisserie Tete: Ocampo 8, just west of Colon. 376-766-1321.
- Casa Colon Concept House: Chic coffee bar at the corner of Colon and Zaragoza. 322-779-8846. https://www.facebook.com/casa.colon.ajijic/.
- La Casa Del Cacao: Vegan cafe offering creative coffee and cacao drinks, and cacao-based deserts. Boulevard De Jin XI # 62, east Ajijic. 331-348-6595. https://www.facebook.com/pages/Luna-Cacao-La-Casa-Del-Cacao/898752356976940.